1st periode: from July to October 2021
- Preparation of the case study by compiling data from your water and/or sanitation company
- Attendance as scheduled at preliminary webconferences with MS OpT auditors
2nd period: 15 to 28 November 2021
10 days of classes given on the ESSEC Africa-Atlantic business school on different topics:
Geopolitical Strategy Asia-Africa: Water challenges (1 day) – Joseph MAILA – ESSEC
Leading change (2 days) – Jean-François NANTEL – ESSEC
- Understanding the issues (managerial and organizational) of change management and the behavior of people in organization
- Management and leadership in the change
- Acquisition of an operational methodology to initiate change within their own organization.
Geopolotic, geoeconomy and geostrategy (2 days) – Cedomir NESTOROVIC – ESSEC
- Identify the political dimension issues of States
- Knowledge and awareness of interactions between states with geographic, demographic and economic factors
- Understand the factors and impacts of a geostrategy at a macro-geographic or global level
Transformation, sustainable development & urbanism (2 days) – Tristan Laurent MOREL – ESSEC
- Enhance pragmatic approach on sustainable development
- Understand the challenges on planning and urban development
- Conceive Singapore strategies and policies to become a modern city
Water strategy (1 day) – Jean Antoine FABY – AgroParisTech
- Apprehend water governance and policies
- Learn on integrated water management and strategies implemented
- Conceive new methods and technologies on water resources
Innovation and transformation of services (2 days) – Antoine WALTER – Georg Fisher
- Understanding the phenomenon of water losses (real or apparent) and their dynamics
- Define a strategy to reduce water losses
- Conditions for ensuring the sustainability on the results of an action plan
3rd period: 29 November to 10 December 2021
10 days case study in Casablanca with Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority and LYDEC
The K-OPT PPWSA and LYDEC case study carry from November 29 to December 10 2021 and lasts 10 days, which aims to analyze the past and recent situation of 8 themes (institutional, governance, technical, administrative, financial, legal, commercial, human resource) of PPSWA, as well as to define a strategic action plan of the structure, to consolidate the performance of the company in the medium term (10 years). The trainees play the role of the CEO of the company in question, who must make a set of decisions, analyze the situation, formulate action plans relating to the water sector.
Primary pedagogical objectives:
To understand the experience of a water and sanitation service by discovering the
sociotechnical, socio-political, and financial trajectory (dynamics of stakeholders, technical
choices, constraints, change of tariff…)
1. Identify key points (human and non-human) for water management and sanitation
during 2000-2010 and 2010-2020
2. Design a complete diagnosis of the water and sanitation service
3. Identify the key measures and internal and external changes that have been taken
over this period.
Contrast the current situation with the past situation on the different themes.
1. Apprehend the dynamics of society’s retrospective in its environment, its past
evolution, its strengths, and weaknesses in relation to the main stakeholders.
2. Determine the common and opposing points of the two situations.
3. Identify the methods and the decisions made to understand the current situation of
Project several scenarios for 2030 in order to anticipate and apprehend uncertainties to
achieve and improve the results of the service
1. Identify key questions for the future
2. Define the target situation by 2030
3. Propose strategic directions and actions based on the company’s skills based on the
scenario’s evolution in its environment.
Secondary pedagogical objectives:
▪ Reinforce knowledge of the issues of a water management service.
▪ Mastering the management tools learned in previous courses
▪ Develop decision-making skills;
▪ Mobilizing skills of OpT training program.
The K-OPT case study is conducted on 3 temporal focal lengths:
1. Past 2000-2010;
2. Recent past 2010-2020;
3. Future 2020-2030;
Each focal length is treated according to three levels:
1. Within the company;
2. Outside (a stakeholder who has an influence in the company in the field of water and
3. Various hazards (environment: COVID, innovation, economics, politics…).
Each level is interpreted with the 5 dimensions/axis mentioned above, which allows the construction
of working groups accordingly:
2. Institutional – Governance – Legal
4. Human Resource
Lecturers at the campus ESSEC Africa-Atlantic
Jean-François NANTEL – ESSEC Innovation chair
Cédomir NESTOROVIC – ESSEC Asia-Pacific
Joseph MAILA – ESSEC Paris
Tristan Laurent MOREL – SETEC Organisation
Antoine WALTER – +GF+
Lecturers for the 2 case studies at LYDEC training centre
Mr LONG Naro – DG of Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority
Ahmed DIAB – LYDEC